Thursday, April 10, 2008

Home Depot! (and Erich)

One of the things that continues to amaze me about being a new parent is the degree to which seemingly small and trivial events have great impact on your children. I had no idea, for instance, that my bringing Erich to Home Depot last month to surprise his mommy would stick with him for so long.

Ever since that day, "Home Depot" has been his favourite real and imaginary place to go. There was one time when we were at a playground. He sat me down in a chu-chu train and proceeded to "drive" the train. When I asked where we were going, he proclaimed proudly in a loud voice, "Home Depot!". Just then, a passing couple with their two-year old came strolling by. When the husband heard where Erich was planning to drive me, he gave me the strangest look!

Perhaps it doesn't help that I am in the middle of another home renovation project. (More on that in some future post...) Erich has been dutifully helping me measure walls with his very own measuring tape - and he's exact too! When asked how long the wall was, he replied as he stretched out his tape measure, "Ninety-four and an eighth!". That's just too funny.

He's been taking his newfound contractor skills to daycare too. He recently "discovered" a crack in one of the wooden support beams at daycare. He promptly asked one of the daycare workers whether he could "fix" it.

I know I've been praying that Erich would be a man after Jesus' heart... Well, I just didn't know he might take on his trade too! :-)

No comments: